Emergency Closure Procedures
Oatlands Junior School recognises that parents and carers need to have information as soon as possible and we will endeavour to provide this using the following procedures.
In the event of extreme weather conditions that may restrict staff and pupils travelling to and from school or in any emergency that may necessitate the closure of the school, the following procedure should be followed to ensure the safety of children, parents and staff.
- A decision will be made by the Head or Deputy Head / Senior Teacher as early as possible as to the need to close the school. (This will be a last resort, usually only if the heating has failed or serious understaffing). They will contact Radio Stray FM (97.2 FM) advising parents of a later start or to keep children at home. We will also use our texting service, website and Twitter to notify parents.
- More usually the decision taken will be to open the school later, enabling staff to get in. This information would be broadcast on Stray FM (if possible) and we will text parents.
- Children who arrive at school accompanied by a parent/carer at the normal time of 8:55a.m. will be required to come into the hall with their parent/carer and wait until the situation is assessed, in normal circumstances by 9:00 a.m. The Head or Deputy Head / Senior Teacher will inform those parents the situation is being assessed and why.
- Those children who arrive at school unaccompanied by a parent/carer at the normal time of 8:55a.m. will be required to come into the hall. Available staff will go on duty in the playground to direct children and parents to the hall.
- Emergency contact numbers will be used and pick-up arrangements will be logged. If the parents cannot be contacted, the child/children will remain in school.
- It is desirable that children are accompanied to school in bad weather to ensure their safety en route.
- Parents wishing to collect their child early will be able to do so from 2:00pm onwards to enable them to get home safely in daylight. They should come to the main school reception and sign their child out.