Emergency Closure Procedures
In the event of extreme weather conditions that may restrict staff and pupils travelling to and from school. Or in any emergency that may necessitate the closure of the school the following procedure will be followed to ensure the safety of children, parents and staff.
The Headteacher / Assistant Headteacher will make a decision, as early as possible, forthe need to close the School. This will be a last resort, usually only if the heating has failed or because of serious understaffing. More usually the decision taken will be to open the school later, at 10:00am, to enable staff to get in
School will contact Greatest Hits Radio (Harrogate and the Yorkshire Dales) who broadcast regular bulletins advising parents of a later start (10:00am) or School closure. School will also notify parents via School Text Messaging service and School Website.
- Children who arrive at School accompanied by a parent/carer at the normal start time willbe required to return home and wait until the situation is assessed, in normal circumstances by 9:30am. The Headteacher / Assistant Headteacher will inform parents that the situation is being assessed and why.
- Children who arrive at School unaccompanied by a parent/carer at the normal start time will be required to wait in the main school hall until 9:30am, when a decision is made about which classes are open and closed. Parents will then be contacted to collect their children from the main reception.
- Emergency contact numbers will be used and pick-up arrangements will be logged. If parents cannot be contacted the child/children will remain in School. We will keep trying to contact parents / carers.
- It is desirable that children are accompanied to School in bad weather to ensure their safety on the way to School.
- Parents wishing to collect their child early will be able to do so from 2:00pm onwards to enable them to get home safely in daylight. Parents must report to the School Reception and sign their child out.
- Please can parents / carers update School as soon as possible if there are any changes to contact details and numbers. Thank you.
Information for parents ~ issued November 2022