Vision for Music at OJS
At Oatlands Junior School, the high-quality Music Curriculum aims to engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they will develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon. The Music Curriculum will give children the opportunity to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music.
Choir and peripatetic music lessons also take place each week led by specialist music teachers from Encore!, music provision from the Red Kite Learning Trust.
Long Term Plan
Music Subject Leader - Kate Barrett
What your child will leave OJS knowing, understanding and appreciating in music
By the end of your child's time here with us at Oatlands Junior School, they will have a real sense of enthusiasm and passion for music and its place in their lives and others, across different settings, times and cultures. They will be able to talk about musicians and pieces of music they have enjoyed listening to and explain why using musical terminology; they will be able to talk confidently about and appreciate the range and families of instruments that exist; they will develop their musical performance skills and have time to rehearse, evaluate and refine solo, group and whole class performances of things that they have composed and most importantly, they will be able to reflect fondly on those memorable moments where they have watched or performed in school-wide celebrations such as the Christmas Concert, the Harvest festival and our Remembrance services or perhaps even inter-school competitions and concerts!
What pupils at OJS think about music
'I enjoy learning to play the violin and using the bow.' ~ Year 3 Pupil
'I like singing and learning to play different instruments!' ~ Year 4 Pupil
'You get to discover a new passion for an instrument!' ~ Year 5 Pupil
'I like making songs with my friends.' ~ Year 6 Pupil